Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Watch Out for Writers





 
 
 
Okay…I’m just going to say it.

Writers make the worst friends.

So it would be wise to steer clear.

They are not nice people.

At least that’s what a guy named Salinger said some 60 years ago, or so.

I’m not sure what the “or so” adds to the sentence or thought.  I just threw it in there because I wanted to and I was pretty sure you wouldn’t notice or care.

See what I mean about writers….always playing games with words, mostly cuz they think they’re so clever.

Much too clever, Buddy….

Salinger said that too.

Now you know why he didn’t publish anything after a while.

He was doing us all a favor.

He didn’t want to manipulate us with words.

Which is what the rest of us might be really doing, anyway.

Think about it.

And while you’re at it, think about a certain, well written e-mail you received from a prolific friend that made you smile, possibly even blush, which upon further inspection was probably telling you how insufficient he or she found those cupcakes you sent over after they had their gall bladder taken out.

In fact, they probably made some veiled reference to your inadequate gall bladder and the need to extract it…all the while you’re reading, and thinking…ahhhh…isn’t that sweet?

It’s all in the phrasing…and the writer knows how to put a well turned phrase to their advantage.

“The one quality I find so refreshing about you, is your ability to find pleasure in the simple things.”

Which probably means, “Your shoes are cheap…and you don’t have many other qualities to speak of.”

“I find your discerning tastes to be wonders that never cease to amaze.”

Which probably means, “Just find something on the menu and order it…you are such a picky pain in the ass!”

“I adore your manner of speech; so plain and direct…without want of meaning or intent; a practice rarely exercised by others.”

Which probably means, “For someone with a PhD, you have the vocabulary of a 4 year old.”

“You’re presence at the last party was, as always, a joy for all. You command a room like no other, adding spice to an otherwise bland soup. Your very presence resonates throughout the halls for days”

Which probably means, “You talk way too much at parties, usually all about yourself…and your perfume is way too overpowering…”

See what I mean…?

Or perhaps you don’t, given your involvement in other matters, more pertinent to your elevated station.  A station one can’t help but notice, especially in the way you carry it so; effortless, with comfort not assumed by most…in fact, knowing there are places you’d much rather be.

Yeh, yeah, yeah….I get it, I get it.

I hope you do too.

Because the last thing I want is to be misconstrued…..

 

 

__________________________________

"Like" the Retorts on Facebook
 

Or just Tolerate them ...if "Like" is too much of a commitment



 on Twitter   


Or subscribe above to receive Retorts by E-Mail

I know...too many options. Probably better to just go back to bed....

 
For the latest Retorts: Click here 


Retort to the Retort – FreelanceRetort@gmail.com



12 comments:

  1. I would love to write something here but I'm not sure if I am a writer. Either way one would not wish to impose on our deep friendship with hyperbole. Does one need a PhD? I haven't got one of those anyway. And yet! I have written many reports letters and the occasional rhyme. Perhaps you can throw more light on the adequacy or not of authors in progress 'Aip's' springs to mind, not sure though........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a tricky one since I rarely know what you're saying anyway. Now that you're trying to be obtuse....

      I'd say you are definitely a writer, Mr. L. You write...you're a writer. I don't understand any of that either, but that's more a reflection on myself, murky waters or not.....

      Delete
  2. Just agreeing with your retort about writers. That is all, nothing else.
    I would like to agree with Mr. Letts, but he is a poet, and I could never understand poetry. Maybe he is an existentialist (you are what you do.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew what you meant! Just me being what I do....

      Delete
  3. it's all about perspective....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is... I even did the perspective thing way back when....
      http://freelanceretort.blogspot.com/2011/06/perspectives.html

      Delete
    2. the inner-nets are telling me that the page does not exist.... i guess from their perspective....

      Delete
  4. Yes, I exist in perspective. From a distance I seem to almost not exist at all.It seems that my perspective on angles usually ends up obtuse. I rarely know what I'm saying either. Agreement is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Can't complain about that! Well, yeah I'm sure I could find a way, but I'll take it! ;-0

      Delete

Retort to the Retort -

“Is there anybody alive out there…”